The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering has the following minimum requirements for admission to the graduate programs:
- 3.0 GPA in undergraduate program (based on A=4.0)
- GRE Scores (145 verbal, 153 quantitative)
- TOEFL (internet exam - 75) or IELTS score of 6.5 or higher - required for non-native speakers of English
Note: Typical scores for admitted M.S. graduate students are 156 GRE quantitative and 3.4 GPA and typical scores for admitted Ph.D. graduate students are 158 GRE quantitative and 3.6 GPA.
For those entering without having an adviser/major professor previously identified, students should secure an adviser as early as possible, but no later than the end of the second semester of registration in the M.S. or Ph.D. program.
Deadline for consideration for Assistantships
- Fall Semester: February 1
- Spring Semester: August 1
- Fall Semester: July 1
- Spring Semester: November 1
- Summer Semester: March 15
- Fall Semester: May 1
- Spring Semester: September 15
- Summer Semester: January 15
To apply for admission to The Graduate School at Montana State University, please complete the online application.
Potential graduate applicants may complete the graduate study inquiry form. This form takes less time to fill out than a full application. The data you submit on the form is available to Department faculty and is reviewed when openings exist. If your information gets the attention of a faculty member, you will be contacted by that faculty member.