Stephanie Wettstein, PhD
PO Box 173920
Bozeman, MT 59717-3920
- Postdoc - University of Wisconsin-Madison (Chemical Engineering)
- Ph.D. - University of Colorado-Boulder (2010; Chemical Engineering)
- Process Engineer at Kimberly-Clark Corporation (2002-2005)
- B.S. - University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (Paper Science)
- 2013: ACS Petroleum Research Fund - New Investigator Grant
Synthesis of platform chemicals, specialty chemicals, and biofuels from lignocellulosic biomass using novel catalytic and separation processes.
The overall goal is to increase the sustainability of biofuels and chemicals produced from lignocellulosic biomass by improving processing methods, increasing reaction rates, and increasing the yields of biomass carbon that is converted into biofuels and chemicals. This includes developing novel, high yield biomass deconstruction methods, improved biomass conversion processes to increase catalyst stability, and separation methods using zeolite membranes.
Current Lab Openings
**Potential graduate student researchers must first fill out the pre-application form (no fee required)** If you are interested in joining my laboratory, please fill out the pre-application form and then contact me at the email above. I will be happy to discuss the opportunities below with you if you meet the proper qualifications. Applicants must have exceptional qualifications and should consider applying for an external fellowship.
As of 03/18/14, there is 1 PhD graduate student opening for begining in the Fall of 2014 (BS in Chem Eng required). The project is a renewable chemcial project (separations and catalysis based). If you are interested in either project, please follow the instructions above.
If you are interested in joining my laboratory, please stop by my office or contact me at the email above. I will be happy to discuss the opportunities below with you if you meet the proper qualifications. Applicants must have exceptional qualifications and should consider applying for an external fellowship, such as the USP.
There are currently no open positions.
16) Martin Alonso, Wettstein, S.G., and Dumesic, J.A., “Gamma-valerolactone, a sustainable platform molecule derived from lignocellulosic biomass,” Green Chem., 15, 2013, 584-595. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2013/GC/C3GC37065H
15) Gürbüz, E.I., Gallo, J.M.R., Martin Alonso, D., Wettstein, S.G., Lim, W.Y., and Dumesic, J.A., "Conversion of hemicellulose into furfural using solid acid catalysts in γ-valerolactone," Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 52, 2013, 1270-1274. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/anie.201207334/abstract
14) Martin Alonso, D., Gallo, J.M.R., Meller, M.A., Wettstein, S.G., and Dumesic, J.A., “Direct conversion of cellulose to levulinic acid and gamma-valerolactone using solid acid catalysts,” Catal.Sci. Tech., 3, 2013, 4, 927-931. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/cy/c2cy20689q
13) Martin Alonso, D., Wettstein, S.G., Meller, M.A., Gürbüz, E.I., and Dumesic, J.A., “Integrated conversion of hemicellulose and cellulose from lignocellulosic biomass,” Energy Environ.Sci., 2013, 6, 76-80. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlehtml/2013/ee/c2ee23617f
12) Sen, S.M., Martin Alonso D., Wettstein, S.G., Gurbuz, E.I., Henao, C.A., Dumesic, J.A., Maravelias, C., “A sulfuric acid management strategy for the production of liquid hydrocarbon fuels via catalytic conversion of biomass-derived levulinic acid,” Energy Environ.Sci., 2012, 5, 9690-9697. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/EE/C2EE22526C
11) Sen, S.M., Gurbuz, E.I., Wettstein, S.G., Martin Alonso D., Dumesic, J.A., Maravelias, C., “Production of butene oligomers as transportation fuels using butene for esterification of levulinic acid from lignocellulosic biomass: Process synthesis and technoeconomic evaluation,” Green Chem., 2012, 14, 3289-3294. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/GC/C2GC35881F
10) Martin Alonso D., Wettstein, S.G., Dumesic, J.A., “Bimetallic catalysts to upgrade biomass to fuels and chemicals,” Chem. Soc. Rev., 2012, 41, 8075-8098. (Inside cover image) http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/cs/c2cs90103j
9) Wettstein, S.G., Martin Alonso D., Chong, Y., Dumesic, J.A., “Production of levulinic acid and gamma-valerolactone (GVL) from cellulose using GVL as a solvent in biphasic systems,” Energy Environ.Sci., 2012, 5, 8199-8203. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2012/ee/c2ee22111j
8) Wettstein, S.G., Martin Alonso D., Gürbüz, E.I., Dumesic, J.A., “A roadmap for conversion of lignocellulosic biomass to chemicals and fuels,” Curr. Opin. Chem. Eng., invited opinion, 2012, 1, 218-224. (#1 Hottest article for July to Sept. 2012) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211339812000342
7) Wettstein, S.G., Bond, J.Q., Martin Alonso D., Pham, H.N., Datye, A.K., Dumesic, J.A., “RuSn bimetallic catalysts for selective hydrogenation of levulinic acid to γ-valerolactone,” Applied Cat. B. Envion., 117-118, 2012, 321-329. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S092633731200046X
6) Gürbüz, E.I., Wettstein, S.G., Dumesic, J.A., “Conversion of hemicellulose to furfural and levulinic acid using biphasic reactors with alkylphenol solvents,” ChemSusChem., 2012, 5, 383-387. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cssc.201100608/abstract
5) Martin Alonso D., Wettstein, S.G., Bond, J.Q., Dumesic, J.A., “Production of biofuels from cellulose and corn stover using alkylphenol solvents,” ChemSusChem, 2011, 4, 1078-1081.http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cssc.201100256/abstract
4) Sorenson, S.G., Payzant, E.A., Gibbons, W.T., Soydas, B., Kita, H., Noble, R.D., Falconer, J.L., “Influence of zeolite crystal expansion/contraction on NaA zeolite membrane separations,” J. Mem. Sci., 2010, 366, 413-420. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0376738810008240
3) Sorenson, S.G., Payzant, E.A., Noble, R.D., Falconer, J.L., “Influence of crystal expansion/contraction on zeolite membrane permeation,” J. Mem. Sci., 2010, 357, 98-104. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037673881000311X
2) Sorenson, S.G., Smyth, J.R., Noble, R.D., Falconer, J.L., “Correlation of silicalite-1 crystal expansion and MFI membrane properties,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2009, 48, 10021-10024.http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie901073g
1) Sorenson, S.G., Smyth, J.R., Kocirik, M., Zikanova, A., Noble, R.D., Falconer, J.L., “Adsorbate-induced expansion of silicalite-1 crystals,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 2008, 47, 9611-9616. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie800630g